Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have a lot of new strategies and clinical developments emerged in such a brief period of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of individuals the chance to minimize or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless way to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by fancy advertisements about a specific laser center. Choose the doctor, not the laser center. Learn who will actually do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's certifications (e.g., board certification, unique training). address
3. Pick a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor doesn't understand can injure you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your doctor will not inform you, find another one.
5. Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make sure that non reusable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as good as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are not worth the threat of getting less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. Each patient gets a slightly different outcome. The best surgeon in the world can't ensure 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each client. Beware of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the vision of millions of people worldwide.